Summer 2009 in Review
Posted by Joe M. Turner | TurnerMagic.com on August 7, 2009
Here’s a brief rundown of some of this summer’s highlights.
- Taught Abra-CAMP-Dabra, a three-day magic camp for residents of Seven Hills community
- Performed at Theater on Main in Acworth — and have already been asked back!
- Performed on a summer sunset cruise for Windsong Sailing Academy
- Was installed onto the Executive Committee of the International Brotherhood of Magicians at their convention in Nashville
- Performed for a group of Latvian kids being hosted by Simple Obedience Ministries, a charity near to my heart
- Performed my annual summer illusion show Midsummer Magic! at the Dallas Theater
- Delivered my “Memory Mojo!” talk for the Executive Roundtable series at the Georgian Club
- Performed a sold-out run at the Black Rose Theater in Brandon, Mississippi
- Delivered my “MAGIC of Change” talk for GMMSCA in Savannah, GA
- Performed during Burnt Hickory Baptist’s middle school choir mission trip in Jacksonville
Became the first Mississippian and the first Georgia magician to perform in all three showrooms at the Magic Castle in Hollywood, CA
- Was featured on Public Broadcasting Atlanta’s “This Is Atlanta” program in an excellent documentary segment about the Georgia Magic Club
- Served as magic consultant and technical advisor on an episode of Drop Dead Diva for Lifetime television; met guest star Paula Abdul during the taping (right after she got a call from Donald Trump!)
As you can see, it’s been non-stop! That list doesn’t include the logistics of family trips, a hospital stay for my son (now doing fine!), and so many other great appearances that I just can’t list them all.
If you are a member of a professional organization, association or other group that hosts meetings and conventions on a quarterly or annual basis, I’d like to talk to you about connecting with your group’s leadership. In the words of Georgian Club membership director Beverly Huff:
“As a speaker, Joe delivered one of the best Executive Roundtable presentations we’ve ever had at the Club. I also saw him entertaining and serving as the MC at a fundraising event and he was just fantastic. If you want your event to be first class, he’s your man.”